Pages

Because you are never too old for sprinkles: A confetti cake for my dad.





I hope you all had a great day of festive family time. While the main celebration was Christmas, it was also my dad birthday. Today was special Some may consider it unfortunate due to the pawning off of gifts as double duty presents, but he has never complained of that. Actually to think of it he has never complained about anything; in my 20 years of living, he has always dealt with everything with a tough face. I really respect my dad’s perspective on life and over the years and I have learnt to love his attitude.




My dad is probably the least choosy person in world. Everything he considers it can be clothing, food and holidays. He has always placed his families wants first. To some extent, I think he has denied himself in order to provide the life our family has. I can only imagine the hardship he has had to go through to make it as a migrant in a new country when he come he alone with little English to establish a foundation for my mum and sister’s (I was born here). Sometimes I wish he would actually have a preference about things because it makes it a lot easier on us, if we actually know what he will enjoy.




On to the cake, even though he is a grown older man, I never think anyone cannot like the rainbow appeal of a confetti cake. It is a white vanilla cake with rainbow sprinkles, with layers of cake batter cake crumb and marshmallow frosting.
Preheat the oven to 185c . Oil and line 18cm cake pans




For the cake, I used the basic white cake recipe from Whisk kid, just with 40g sprinkles added to the batter and poured in to 18cm tin for five layers.

Cake batter crunch, I was inspired by the Cornflake crunch used by the Monofuku Bar cookies and cake.
The Marshmallow frosting was posted here before; I have used it on the macaron cake. The dense vanilla scented icing is perfect match for the sprinkle sweeten cake.

Sprinkled cake batter crunch cake.
Makes one 5 layer 18cm cake


White Cake

Adapted from whisk kid

350 g castersugar

5 egg whites, room temp

2 teaspoons vanilla

426 g flour

4 tsp baking powder

½ tsp salt

355 ml milk with 1 teaspoon of vinegar, stand for 5 minutes

40g sprinkles



Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside

Cream the sugar and butter, then add the egg whites (I cracked them all into one bowl) and add them a little at a time.

Add the vanilla and mix until fully incorporated.

Alternating between wet and dry, add the milk and flour mixture in two parts.

Fold in sprinkles

Pour into the pans and bake for 25 minutes each.

When you remove them from the oven, let them rest on the cooling rack, in the pan, for ten minutes.

Then flip, cover, and stash them in the fridge to cool quickly.

Even out layers when cooled, save these for crunch



Cake batter,cake crunch

200g left over sprinkle cake, allow to stale and crumbed.

40g egg white

50g caster sugar

40g milk powder

Preheat oven to 140c. Line a tray with grease proof paper

Combined egg white sugar and milk powder in small bowl.

In a large bowl mix cake crumb and milk paste. It should have the feel and look of pudding cake.

Place in oven and check every 5 minutes sitring to unsure even browning. Take out when golden brown.

Cool on trays, it with harden on cooling.



Marshmallow frosting,

From this post. Double the recipe posted.

Assembly

Stack the layers and frost in the following order marshmallow frosting, cake batter cake crunch, layer cake. Repeat until all are used. Fridge for 1 hour
Frost the cake as usual.




He was very happy, even the toughest of men melt to the power of sprinkle cakes.

2 comments:

  1. This cake looks ridiculously good! And you're right. You are NEVER too old for sprinkles =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think it is impossible to out grow sprinkles, it reminds me of a simpler time.

    ReplyDelete