Pages

The Social Network/-/Chocolate pear crumble muffins





Now don’t get me wrong, I love the internet. I know in my last post I have bashed google instant search a bit for reproducing the ugly truth; but like most things a majority of it is pretty good. Social networking and share sites. Who doesn’t use them these days? I have been a little slow at accepting them due to a number of worries.




First one is confidentiality, I have always been a very private person (it took me 5 months before I put a photo of myself on face book were my profile was set to private). My insecure nature gets the best of me sometimes; only recently have I become a little more comfortable with blogging. I am bit weary now that my name is now associated with the fish and chip cupcakes but that the price of publishing right? Also with all the shock news stories of identity theft, extreme internet harassment or bullying and the use of social networks to control the population (see Focault and his power theories) I was not keen on becoming a troll.



Second, what’s the point? Especially referring to tumblr. I used to think that these site were just for people to recirculate the same content of cat memes, pale and pink things, the same bowls of oatmeal and deadly thin girls. While I have opened up by accepting the brilliantness of pinterest and flickr, I will not be changing my opinion of tumblr anytime soon.



Simple reason, I find it boring and it filled with complaining post for “notes”. I am surrounded by complaints in my life as it is; I do not need to come home and waste my hours reading other post about how tragic their life is. Sorry if it comes off as harsh but you have the make of what you got (like when you have left over ingredients to make a meal)




Lastly and I think this one is due to my tragic social skills, I am scared of making people angry or doing something which is considered a “social media faux pas”. However considering the lack of adequate displayed on twitter and Facebook, my worries are hardly needed. Not to mention now that I have a blog; I am worried about copyright laws. I do not want to get sued. If anyone can help on this, please give me a comment with a link to learn about this stuff!



Anyway, time to talk about muffins. Despite what others may say, I think muffins vary greatly from recipe to recipe, namely the raising agents. I am not sure if I have sensitive taste buds or something but I can taste the chemicals in a muffin if it has more than 1-2 teaspoon of baking powder. No matter how pretty a muffin dome is, it means nothing if the taste is not there.

While these look so darkly smouldering with their chocolate milk crumble topping, these are not insanely sweet. This is due to the recipe having no additional extra sugar besides the roasted pears and chocolate, just because chocolate alone is sweet enough for me. Not to mention it is studded with a chocolate version of the famous “ milk crumb” by the monofuku bar. These are quite the mouthful and remain tender for days while the topping may not be as crunchy the next day, these do not stick around for long.


Chocolate pear crumble muffins.

Make 15 muffins.


Chocolate milk crumb 

From Christian Tosi

40g non fat milk powder

30g plain flour 

8g corn flour

10g cocoa (dutch process)

5g salt

10g caster sugar

22g butter, unsalted and melted

60g eating milk chocolate

Preheat oven to 110C degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together all the milk powder, flour, cornstarch, sugar, and salt. Stir in melted butter until well combined. Spread mixture on prepared baking sheet and transfer to oven. Bake until dried and crumbly, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove milk crumble from oven and let cool completely.

Transfer milk crumble to a large bowl and fold in remaining cocoa and milk chocolate. Use immediately or transfer to an airtight container and keep refrigerated until ready to use.




Muffins

150g Milk chocolate

120g butter, unsalted

125ml milk


2 eggs

175g plain flour

2g salt

35g cocoa dutch process powder

1tsp vanilla extract

6g baking powder

4g bicarb sooa

2 large pears, peeled cored and cut into 1cm dice. 

The milk crumb from above


Preheat oven to 180C.

In large non stick fry pan, spray with cooking oil. Once hot (like grill, smoking hot) throw in your pear dice and move occasionally until the edges are slightly caramelised. Set aside 

Melt your chocolate and butter in small sauce pan until complete melt and smooth. Set aside to cool.

Shift your flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and bi carb in large bowl. Add half of your milk crumb to this bowl. Set aside.

In a jug place milk, eggs and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.

Pour you wet mix into the large bowl of flour. Now fold in the liquid, being as careful as possible to not over mix. Fold in chocolate mix and pears. 

Spoon into muffin tray. Top each muffin with generous coat of the remaining milk crumb. 

Bake in an oven for 25 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean.

Allow to cool in tray for 10 minutes then transfer to wire rack

14 comments:

  1. I love using pears up in cake, this sounds super :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks missy. We often have too much fruit so muffins are a simple answer.

      Delete
  2. I've had two pears sat on the fruit bowl most of this week because I don't really like just eating a plain pear and I couldn't think of anything to make with them.... I'm off to the kitchen with them right this minute! Thank you (:
    from Emily xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually do not like pears if they are not hard and crunchy. So once they are soft, they sit there till they are used in these muffins. I hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  3. Yum!
    Pears in a cupcake is awesome!
    I'll have to try this!

    http://sweetandadashofsavory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness... these cupcakes are brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashley, give them go muffin time is all the time!

      Delete
  5. Smouldering look, I like that in a muffin! And I like this post, can relate to it. And I´ve been reading about Foucault for the last 15 minutes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also because it is muffin you can get away with eating it for breakfast. Gosh, spending my years in University, learning about his work and others. Let me say my brain is about to explode if I do not get it out. I am glad you like my post. Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  6. I just discovered your blog, I cannot wait to try some of your recipes. As I was reading, I noticed your request for help with copyright laws. I realise that you are in Australia, so the laws may be a bit different than in the US, but it appears to me that most cooking bloggers follow these standards. Here is a link that I have found helpful. Read the section on Recipes and Cooking for the copyright information: http://smittenkitchen.com/about/faq/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for the information, They are really good link explaining in simple language!
      I hope you stick around to enjoy more recipes in the future.

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry but I'm really struggling to follow this recipe. For a start, the recipe states "In a jug place milk, eggs and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.". Where exactly do you state that milk is actually needed, and how much...? That is just one of the confusions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very sorry. this one of earlier recipes and I did not edit the recipe. I accidentally wrote the milk with the wrong label. If you have any other issues please tell me, and I will change it for you so you can make these.

      Very sorry mark

      Delete